The Georgia Board of Regents requires that institutions confirm lawful presence for any student claiming eligibility for in-state tuition. Per BOR policy, a student’s eligibility for in-state tuition must be verified before that student is designated as eligible.
Note: Please do not fax any of the following documentation. Scan, or take a photo and e-mail, or print and mail to the address at the bottom of this page.
Failure to confirm legal presence by the first day of classes will result in an out-of-state residency classification and out-of-state fees will be assessed.
Students may be verified through one of the following options below:
Verification through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- If you are either a U.S. Citizen, Permanent Resident, or eligible non-citizen (does not apply to international students on a visa) that has completed and submitted a FAFSA, the U.S. Department of Education will verify your lawful presence.
Submission of one of the following documents:
- Current Driver's License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008, that is not labeled "Limited Term". (Temporary/interim paper licenses are not acceptable).
- Current Identification Card issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008, that is not labeled "Limited Term". (Temporary/interim paper IDs are not acceptable).
- Current Driver’s License or state issued ID card issued by a USG approved state that issues REAL ID compliant licenses. Only unexpired licenses with the REAL ID symbol may be accepted. Please see approved state chart (PDF).
- Original or certified birth certificate issued by a state, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal. (Copy can be submitted by mail or electronically. The copy must very clearly show the raised or written seal to be acceptable. Copies that are not clear or do not show the seal cannot be accepted.) You can visit the VitalChek website for instructions for ordering a certified U.S. birth certificate.
- Current U.S. Passport.
- Permanent Resident Card (front and back copy). Card must not expire before the first day of class of the term of entry.
- Military ID (for service members only, not dependents). Military ID cannot be copied and must be verified by an EGSC staff member.
- Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
- Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
- Certificate of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (DS1350) or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240).
If you are a U.S. Permanent Resident, upload a front and back copy of your current, valid Permanent Resident Card (USCIS form I-151 or I551).
If you are an F-1 international student, we will verify your lawful presence through SEVIS. As this is already part of the immigration process there are no additional steps required to have your Citizenship Verification Hold removed. Simply comply with the requirements outlined by the Office of Admissions as you prepare to arrive at East Georgia State College.
All nonresident alien students on some sort of visa will need to submit immigration documents verifying their lawful status to the Office of Admissions. Such documents may include an I-94 card, U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services (USCIS) approval notice or receipt notice, or other documentation confirming the student is in lawful visa status.
Where do I send my documents?
Office of Admissions
East Georgia State College
Office of Admissions
131 College Circle
Swainsboro, GA 30401
In addition to the link below, you may also use this QR Code to safely upload your documents for processing.