Wireless Internet access is available on the East Georgia State College Swainsboro campus. The service is available to students, faculty and staff. Access to the wireless Internet is free and available throughout the campus. Please click on the "Wireless Coverage Maps" link above for the available locations of the wireless Internet service. The wireless Internet network was funded in part by the EGSC Student Technology Fee.
What Is Needed To Connect to the Campus Wireless Network
To connect to the EGSC Wireless Network, your notebook / laptop computer or PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) will need an 802.11b or 802.11g wireless Ethernet card. Wireless Ethernet cards are readily available at local retailers and will soon be available in the EGSC bookstore.
NOTE: Your notebook / laptop computer or PDA may have a built-in 802.11b or 802.11g wireless Ethernet connection. If this is the case, you should not have to obtain a wireless Ethernet card.
NOTE: It is the responsibility of the user of the EGSC wireless Internet network to ensure that the necessary critical updates and anti-virus software are installed and current on the notebook / laptop or PDA connecting to the EGSC wireless network.
Steps To Connect
- Install wireless Ethernet card according to manufacture's instructions.
- If your laptop computer or PDA has a built-in wireless Ethernet connection, make sure that the built-in wireless connection is enabled.
- Right Click on the icon in your system tray. The system tray is located in the area by your computer's time display).
Select "View Available Wireless Networks.
On the screen that appears, select "EGSC - Student" and then click the "Connect" button.
For the unsecured message that appears, click "Connect Anyway"
Open your web browser and accept default connection.
- Click the "Accept" button on the screen that appears (see above screen) to connect to the wireless network.
- You should now be able to use your laptop / PDA to browse the Internet.
If you need assistance with getting your laptop or PDA connected to the campus wireless network, please stop by the Computer Services department, located in Room A130 of the George L. Smith Building.