Scope of Policy
The focus of this policy is to govern the use of electronic mail (Email) communications via the East Georgia State College (EGSC) Email servers and network.
Regulations of Policy
1. All Email traffic (incoming and outgoing) that utilizes the EGSC Email servers will be scanned by various email scanning appliances and systems to help protect the college's IT equipment from harmful files, worms, viruses, Spam Email, etc. This includes the scanning of files attached to email messages. The contents of messages will also be scanned for items that are known to be related to SPAM Email
a. File types: .exe, .bmp, .jpeg, .scr, .com, .pif, .zip are not permitted because these file types are known to house viruses, worms, etc., all inbound and outbound Email messages containing attached files with these file extensions will automatically be quarantined by the VirusWall Scanning system. Email messages having valid attached files must be released from quarantine by the college’s Information Technology (IT) Department. Please contact the department for assistance with quarantined email messages.
b. Attached files must follow standard file naming conventions of having only one file extension. In other words, no attachment containing more than one period "." in the file name will be allowed.
c. The content of all inbound email messages will be scanned for items associated with SPAM email. These messages will automatically be removed from the email system.
2. Faculty, staff and students who use their EGSC Email account for sending "valid" attached files listed in Regulation 1 should contact the IT department for assistance in proper delivery of the messages.
3. Sending unsolicited email messages via an EGSC email account, including the sending of "junk mail" or other advertising material to individuals who did not specifically request such material (email spam) is prohibited.
4. Any form of harassment occurring via an EGSC account, computer system, telephone, paging device or any other form of electronic communication device is prohibited.
5. Unauthorized use, or forging, of email header information is not allowed.
6. Solicitation of email for any other email address, other than that of the poster's account, with the intent to harass or to collect replies is not permitted.
7. Creating or forwarding "chain letters", "Ponzi" or other "pyramid" schemes of any type is not permitted.
8. Posting the same or similar non-business-related messages to large numbers of Usenet newsgroups (newsgroup spam) is not allowed.
9. Users of the EGSC email system must use their EGSC email accounts only in support of academic pursuits and/or college business.
10. Users of the EGSC email system who suspect their email account has been accessed or utilized by an unauthorized party should contact the college's IT department as soon as possible.
11. Because official EGSC communication to students is typically sent to students’ EGSC student email accounts, and because the college cannot guarantee the functionality of outside / third-party email systems (i.e., Gmail, YahooMail, Hotmail, etc), forwarding of a student's email address to third-party email systems is not allowed.
12. Report any violations of these policies to firstname.lastname@example.org or by contacting the college’s IT Department.
Retention of Electronic Mail
No retention of EGSC email messages (incoming or outgoing) is maintained by the college's IT department. When users (faculty, staff, students) remove email from the server, no backup of removed messages is maintained. However, a two-week backup tape rotation is maintained for restoring only the operating system and functionality of the email server.
Active Time Period for East Georgia State College Email Accounts and Disclaimers
EGSC Student Email Accounts:
a. New EGSC student email accounts are automatically created at the time a student is officially accepted for admission to EGSC.
b. Readmitted students' email account will not be reactivated until after they have been registered for the returning semester.
c. Student email accounts names are system generated and can only be changed as a result of an official name change. The student must first request an official name change in the registrar’s office. Once the name change has been processed, the college’s ITDepartment will create the new email account and will transfer any existing “inbox” email messages to the new email account. A “.forward” will temporally be put on the student's old email account for two weeks so that any email going to the old email account will go to the new email account.
Notification that the new accounts are active will be sent to the “old” email account.
It will be the responsibility of the student to transfer any email messages from their “sent” or other personal folders. It is also recommended that the student inform their instructors and other individuals who routinely send them email of their new email account information.
d. Student email passwords are linked to the student’s myEGSC password and derived from information known by the student. Do not share your password with anyone. Students who believe their password has been compromised may request a password change by either sending a request to email@example.com using their EGSC email account or in person with proper picture identification to the college’s IT Department. If you send the password change request by email, it is recommended that you delete the sent email to prevent persons you suspect of having your email password from being able to view the sent message that contains your newly requested password.
Email Password reset requests will not be taken over the phone or from non EGSC email accounts.
e. It is highly recommended a student preserve his / her EGSC email account for academic work only. All important college correspondence to students is usually sent to students’ EGSC email accounts. This correspondence includes account balance notifications, Mid-Term grades, drop notices, registration notices and pin numbers and test registration information. It is the responsibility of the student to ensure their email inbox has the available space to receive official correspondence.
It is recommend that students obtain other free email accounts (hotmail, yahoo, gmail) for the purpose of subscribing to various mailing lists available on the internet.
f. A student's Email account will be closed and all Email messages deleted for any student who has not attended classes at EGSC for over one year period of time. This time period begins when the student was last enrolled and taking classes at EGSC.
g. Student’s email storage is limited to 30MB of disk space on the email server. Once the disk quota has been reached, the email client will not receive any new mail until the student increases available disk quota be deleting unneeded email messages. It is the responsibility of the student to manage their email storage.
Students should periodically do the following to help manage their email storage space.
i. Check for new mail often
ii. Delete any unwanted email
iii. Empty the Trash email folder. To empty the Trash email folder, click on the "Empty" option when in the Webmail system. Email is not deleted from the server until the Trash email folder is emptied. Email in the Trash folder will still consume part of the disk quota until the folder is emptied.
h. Additionally, due to disk storage limitations, it may be necessary, WITHOUT NOTICE, for the EGSC IT department to:
i. Delete email messages that are old (i.e., email messages that are several months in age from date of receipt) from currently enrolled students email accounts
ii. Delete email containing large attachments.
iii. Delete email with specific subject line which may have been classified as SPAM that passed through spam filters.
Therefore, it is the responsibility of the student to print out and/or save to another format any email message that the student wishes to permanently retain.
NOTE: Email messages that have been moved from the Inbox folder to a personal folder in will not be removed. It is recommended that the student move important email messages from the Inbox to a personal folder to ensure the messages are not delete