In accordance with Board of Regents Policy 4.3.4, all applicants who are accepted for admission or readmission to the college for fall 2011 or any academic semester thereafter, and who seek to be classified as in-state for tuition purposes, will be required to provide validation of residency and lawful presence in both the State of Georgia and the United States.
East Georgia State College will strive to make this process clear by publicizing to all applicants through letter, website (Admissions Office “check your status”) and e-mails to students requesting in-state tuition that they must confirm their Georgia residency status on their applications and provide proof of legal presence in the United States. In some cases, the student must provide more than one document. The following list of secure and verifiable documents, published under the authority of O.C.G.A. § 50-36-2, contains documents that are used for identification purposes, and documents on this list may not necessarily be indicative of residency or immigration status.
- Student’s completed FAFSA for the current financial aid year.
- Student’s certified copy of your U.S. Birth Certificate showing that he/she was born in the U.S. or a U.S territory. A photocopy is not acceptable.
- Copy of student’s current Driver's License issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- Copy of student’s current ID issued by the State of Georgia after January 1, 2008.
- Copy of a tribal identification card of a federally recognized Native American tribe, provided that it contains a photograph or lists sufficient identifying information regarding the bearer, such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address.
- Copy of student’s U.S. Certificate of Naturalization (USCIS form N-550 or N-570).
- Copy of student’s U.S. Certificate of Citizenship (USCIS form N-560 or N-561).
- Copy of student’s Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt Card (USCIS form I-151 or I-551)
- Present student’s current military ID (service member only, not dependent) A photocopy is not acceptable.
- Copy of student’s current U.S. Passport
- A Merchant Mariner Document or Merchant Mariner Credential issued by the United States Coast Guard.
- A Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card.
- A NEXUS card.
- A Secure Electronic Network for Travelers Rapid Inspection (SENTRI) card.
- A driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authority.
- An Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph of the bearer.
Applications processed by the Admissions or Records Office will be reviewed with emphasis on those students requesting in-state tuition and their positive responses to Georgia residency questions.
Students at the time of registration on orientation days or other registration days, who have satisfied the Georgia residency requirement but not provided proof of the U.S. lawful presence, will have their status changed to non-resident.
Students will have until the last official day of schedule adjustment to provide their proof of U.S. lawful presence. All students who failed to prove their lawful presence after that date will be accessed out-of-state tuition for the current term. If they provide the lawful presence proof before then next semester’s registration period and they have already proved their Georgia residency status, they may be changed to in-state.
Former Students returning to EGSC who have not attended fall 2011or thereafter, will be required to provide proof of lawful presence.