In recent years, explosive devices have been detonated in various locations with and without warning. All staff and faculty are required to report any suspicious packages or objects found on campus to the Public Safety immediately. DO NOT HANDLE THE OBJECT. In addition, they are to report any bomb threats received via email, telephone or other means of communication.
Receipt of Bomb Threat – Anyone receiving a threat that a bomb is located on College property should attempt to obtain the following information:
- When is the bomb going to explode?
- Where is the bomb located? What area?
- Why did you place the bomb?
- What type of bomb is it?
- What does it look like?
- What is your name?
Normally the caller will not answer these questions, but may make comments. During this time, the person receiving the threat should attempt to listen for any background noises, accent of the caller, or any information that may be helpful.
Keep talking to the caller as long as possible and record the following information:
- Time of call
- Age and sex of caller
- Speech pattern, accent, nationality, etc.,
- Emotional state of caller
- The number dialed by the caller,
- Background noise.
- Report the incident immediately to Public Safety, 455-0125 or 289-2090. If possible, have someone contact the Public Safety ASAP while you are on the phone.
- Upon notification, the Public Safety will immediately notify the Chief of Public Safety.
A decision will be made as to whether the building or area will be evacuated.
- Evacuation Ordered: Staff and faculty will assist in the evacuation of the building by ensuring that person(s) leave the area. Individuals evacuating the building shall move to a location that is approximately 1,500 feet away from any buildings. Generally, the parking areas at the farthest points from the buildings are the most acceptable.
- Evacuation Not Ordered: In the event an evacuation is not ordered, a covert search may be conducted of the area. Employees will be asked to discreetly check their work areas for any suspicious packages or objects.
- Bomb/Suspicious Package/Object Located: The Public Safety will order the immediate evacuation of the area and identify a telephone in the immediate area to establish an on-site communications center. Two-way radios will not be used within 1,500 feet of the suspected device! Communications Officers will notify Plant Operations personnel to cease use of radios. The Public Safety will call 911.The President will be immediately contacted.