The College Placement Exam, COMPASS, is a computerized placement exam that tests reading, writing, and math skills. COMPASS exam requirements are determined by the SAT Critical Reading and Math scores or ACT English and Math scores, in addition to, meeting the 4 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units. Students are required to take the COMPASS placement exam prior to P.A.W.S. New Student Orientation in order to determine specific requirements for remediation in Reading, English, and Mathematics as well as admissability. The Office of Admissions offers the exam to students Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm, no appointment is necessary. If you are a student that needs accommodations on our COMPASS Exam or have an IEP, you will need to coordinate these accommodations with the Counseling and Disability Services Office (478) 289-2039.
Beginning Summer semester 2012 and thereafter, the COMPASS test is used as an entrance exam to determine admissibility to East Georgia State College.
We can accept equivalent COMPASS scores from any USG, COC-accredited, and non-COC-accredited TCSG institutions; however we are unable to accept the Pre-Algebra section in lieu of the Algebra Section. Any student that has tested at an institution other than East Georgia State will need to have those scores forwarded to the Admissions office.
Students who wish to take the Compass for another institution or for POST-certification will be required to pay a $25 fee and will be tested on an as-available basis after students for EGSC have been tested.
Incoming freshmen are required to take the exam, unless they can exempt due to entering ACT or SAT scores and the completion of 4 Required High School units of English and 4 Required High School units of Math. The exemption scores are as follows:
SAT Critical Reading score ≥ 430 or ACT English ≥ 17
SAT Math score ≥ 400 or ACT Math ≥ 17
GHSGT-ELA Score ≥ 235 (Satisfies only the Writing and Reading Compass sections)
East Georgia State College established minimum COMPASS Entrance scores in each subject area. Students scoring below the minimum scores will not be eligible for admission.
|COMPASS Subject||Minimum Score||Exempting Score|
English & Reading - Students scoring between the minimum and exit scores above will be placed into ENGL 0099 and/or READ 0099 and must exit these courses in 2 attempts in order to continue their education at EGSC.
Algebra - Students who score between the minimum and exit scores above will be placed in MATH 0099 Learning Support and must exit in 2 attempts in order to continue their education at EGSC.
- Students must bring a Photo ID to the test. Without a photo id, you will not be allowed to test.
- Cell phones are NOT allowed in the testing lab.
- Students are strongly encouraged to practice prior to taking the exam but using the practice links on the right.
- We provide a basic calculator although there is a calculator built into the test for you to use.
- This test is computerized and not timed.
- There is no cost for this test if the student has applied for admission to EGSC. There is a $25 fee if the student is not an EGSC applicant.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room and cannot be left alone outside of the area.
- If you are a student that needs accommodations on our Compass Placement exam or has an IEP, you will need to coordinate these accommodations with the Counseling and Disability Services Office (478) 289-2039.
- Students currently enrolled in Learning Support classes are not eligible to retest
- Registering for classes immediately terminates the retest option — no exceptions.
- The retest must be taken before the Admission deadline date for that term.
- Students may retest once without showing proof of remediation. After the second test, students must show proof of remediation prior to testing again
- A student must be within 10 points of either the minimum or exempting scores in any COMPASS section to be eligible for a retest.
- Students must wait at least one week between exam and retest to allow for remediation.
- A $15 retest fee is assessed — regardless of the number of subject areas taken.
- The retest fee may be paid at the Business Office at the Swainsboro campus and receipt must be shown in order to verify testing.
Remote Test Option
Live outside of the EGSC area? Students who are unable to test at the Swainsboro office are able to take the exam at a COMPASS Internet Remote Testing Site of their choosing. With the Remote Testing Option, you can quickly and conveniently arrange to have your COMPASS exam administered from accredited COMPASS testing centers across the country. Please be aware that each institution charges a fee for this service which the student will be responsible for. Simply search for a test site in your area and contact the Office of Admissions with the site of your choice in order to get registered for the exam. Upon completion, students will obtain a copy of their scores and their scores are electronically sent to EGSC within 72 hours.
Office of Admissions
131 College Circle
Swainsboro Georgia 30401
Phone: (478) 289-2017
Fax: (478) 289-2140