Zoom is available for EGSC users via D2L Brightspace Instructors who wish to use Zoom as a virtual classroom may find the D2L Zoom Meetings integration useful. The D2L Zoom Meetings tool allows students easy access via their D2L course shell to course Zoom meetings (and recordings).
Schedule Zoom Meetings in D2L
Notes: The D2L Zoom Meetings scheduler has abbreviated settings available. For full settings, you may need to edit D2L Zoom meeting settings via the Zoom web portal.
Only D2L users with instructor access can schedule Zoom meetings in D2L. Student roles cannot schedule Zoom meetings in D2L. Users without instructor access in D2L can schedule meetings from the Zoom Web portal.
Best Practices for using Zoom
- Login to D2L
- Navigate to the course for which you would like to schedule a Zoom meeting.
- Click on Zoom in the navigation bar or the Zoom module you have created.
- Click Schedule a New Meeting
- Adjust your meeting settings.
Title: Enter a descriptive title
Description (optional): Enter an optional meeting description.
When: select date and time for the meeting to start
Duration: Enter your planned duration. This will not cut off the meeting if you run over.
Time Zone: Confirm or select the correct timezone.
Recurring Meeting: Select this option to create a recurring meeting. Once selected, you’ll have the option to choose how often the meeting recurs, and when to stop repeating.
Registration: Recommended to deselect unless you need detailed attendee information. Enabling this setting will make it more difficult for students to join the meeting.
Video: Choose whether the meeting host (you) and participants will join the meeting with video enabled or disabled. Users can enable or disable their video feed at any point during the meeting.
Audio: Ensure Both is selected.
Meeting Options: Recommended settings for class sessions:
- Mute participants on entry (recommended for large classes)
- Enable waiting room
- Record the meeting automatically in the cloud (if you want a recorded class session)
- Restrict to authenticated users signed in with EGSC domains.
Alternative Hosts: Optionally, add a guest speaker will step in and host the meeting if you are unable to do so.
- Save your meeting.
- You will now see your meeting in the list of meetings with an option to start or edit the meeting. Students will see an option to join the meetings. Meetings created in the D2L Zoom Meetings tool will also be visible in the D2L course calendar automatically.
Start or Join a Zoom Meeting in D2L
- Login to D2L
- Navigate to the course in which the Zoom meeting is scheduled.
- Click Zoom in the navigation bar or the Zoom module you have created.
- Find your meeting from the list of upcoming meetings and click Start or Join.
Confirm the browser dialogue to launch Zoom.
Note: You may wish to check the box to “Always open these types of links in the associated app.”