The Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia (USG) has named the two committees to conduct a national search for the next president of East Georgia State College, which is currently led by interim president Dr. Dawn Cartee.
“East Georgia State College serves as a critical access point to higher education for students and their families, providing them an opportunity to learn the workforce skills industry needs to grow the economy of southeast Georgia and the state,” USG Chancellor Steve Wrigley said. “The college’s next leader will play an important role in further developing that mission, and I thank committee members in advance for their time and dedication to this important effort.”
The search and screening of candidates is the responsibility of the campus-based Presidential Search and Screen Committee and will guide the first stage of the search. Members are as follows:
• Courtney Joiner, M.A., search committee chair, associate professor of History; School of Humanities and Social Sciences.
• Da’Mon Andrews, Ed.D., associate professor of Mathematics and Department Chair, School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences
• Tom Caiazzo, Ph.D., professor of Political Science, School of Humanities and Social Sciences
• Laura Chambers, instructor of English, Statesboro Campus and president, EGSC Faculty Senate
• Precious Coleman, president of EGSC Student Government Association
• Matt Donaldson, president, EGSC Alumni Association; mayor, City of Twin City; vice president, Durden Banking Company Inc.
• Amanda Douglas, senior secretary to Math and Science Division and chair of EGSC Staff Council
• Kristin Hall, Emanuel County Superior Court Clerk
• Jaehyuk Lee, Ph.D., assistant professor of Economics; School of Humanities and Social Sciences
• Richard M. McNeely, chairman, EGSC Board of Trustees
• Georgia Mathews-Beasley, director of Student Retention
• Sanjay Narsee, tutor and Student Ambassador, EGSC
• Mina Vora, professor of Mathematics and Statistics, School of Mathematics and Science
The duties of the Presidential Search and Screen Committee include the development of a position description, recruiting candidates and conducting interviews. The search firm of Myers McRae has been engaged to assist the search committee.
At the conclusion of its work, the campus committee will forward the credentials of three to five unranked candidates to the Regents Special Committee for consideration.
The Regents Special Committee will be chaired by Regent C. Everett Kennedy III, with members including Board Chairman Sachin Shailendra, Regent W. Allen Gudenrath, Regent Cade Joiner, Regent Lowery Houston May and Regent Don L. Waters.
“EGSC plays an important role for our communities and I’m excited to start the work that will find the best candidate for the college to continue helping students achieve their degrees and succeed,” Kennedy said. “On behalf of the college’s many supporters and stakeholders, I’m especially grateful to members of the campus committee who I know will be diligent in their work for the benefit of EGSC’s students, faculty, staff and alumni.”
The initial meeting of the Presidential Search Committee will be June 22, 2021, at East Georgia State College, at which time the members will be formally charged with their roles and responsibilities in conducting the search.