Coach Leroy Jordan has been selected to lead the Men’s Bobcat Basketball Program this season at East Georgia State College, as the Interim Head Coach. This selection follows the resignation of EGSC’s Athletic Director and Head Men’s Basketball Coach, Neil Bailey. Bailey left to pursue an opportunity at Walsingham Academy in Virginia.
Coach Jordan, who served the previous two years as the Men’s Assistant Basketball Coach, stated, “Although Coach Bailey will be missed and we wish him and his family the very best, we will continue the tradition of providing collegiate opportunities to scholar athletes. I am excited about the upcoming season and we plan on keeping the momentum from last season moving forward this season.”
Coach Jordan is certainly no stranger to serving as Head Basketball Coach. He served 23 years as a Head Coach at Swainsboro High School, where he had 435 total wins, 9 region titles, 16 state play-offs, 1995 State Runner-up and the 1996 State Championship. Coach Jordan has helped countless young men succeed in life, teaching positive values, work ethic, and serving as a role model for a generation of Swainsboro young men.
Coach Jordan helped lead the Bobcats last season to a 31 – 3 record. They won the State of Georgia GCAA Championship and continued on to participate in the Elite 8 National Championship Tournament in Hutchinson, Kansas.
“A strong team with strong leadership. The East Georgia State basketball program is one of the top state college programs in the country, a feat that has earned national respect, not only for how quickly the program has advanced competitively, but for the steadfast integrity exhibited by players and coaches,” stated EGSC President, Dr. Bob Boehmer.
Coach Jordan holds a Bachelor of Science in Health and Physical Education from Stillman College in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. He also earned a Master’s in Health and Physical Education from Georgia College in Milledgeville and Master’s in Career Counseling from Georgia Southern University. In 2005, he earned an Ed. S. in Supervision Administration from Cambridge College and did further study in the Principle of Pastoral Leadership by the Congress of Christian Education of the General Missionary Baptist Convention of Georgia. Coach Jordan is licensed in Gospel Ministry by Oak Missionary Baptist Church in Swainsboro.
The first EGSC Men’s Bobcat Basketball home game is scheduled for November 6 at 7:30 p.m. in the EGSC Gym.
The East Georgia State College Men’s Bobcat Basketball Roster for Season 2013….
1) Deionte Corprew
Shaw High School
High School Highlights
- First 4 yr starter at Shaw High School
- All region
- All Bi City
- Ranked #16 overall in state of Georgia by ESPN
- Stats: 14pts, 5 assists, 3 stls,
2) Deion Craig
- Knock Down shooter
- Made ten 3-pointers in a game senior year
- Won region championship at T.W. Josey
- Last year came in and knocked down threes when called upon.
- Help lead the team to the 2013 Georgia State Championship and Elite 8 Appearance
3) Erik Thomas
- High School: Wesley Chapel High School in Wesley Chapel, Flordia
- Senior Year Record- 24-5
- Stats: Ppg- 32.7 Rbs-16.3
- Apg-3.4 Spg-2.9 Bpg-1.5
- Player of the Junior National Team of Argentina, Scored 2138 points in whole career.
- All time scoring and Rebounding and double-double leader and record holder.
- Only male player in school to reach 2000 points in his career. 5A District Champs. Florida class 5A State Player of the Year.
- Ranked #1 in the State for whole season until eliminated in regional playoffs.
- Nominated for Mr. Basketball.
- Florida Dairy Farmers 5A Player of the Year
- Conference Player of the Year
- 1st Team All State
- Tampa Bay Times Player of the Year
4) Labron Glover
- Claxton High School
- State of Georgia Player of the Year junior and senior year
- 1st team all-state junior and senior year
5) Jonathan Jamal Blair
- High School: Bradwell Institute in Hinesville, Georgia
- Two-sport athlete basketball and track
- Ranked number 4 high jumper in the state in 2008-2009
- All-Army basketball player for one year
- MVP and player of Battle of Pacific Classic Tournament
- Freshman year record- 31-3
- 2012-2013 State Champs
- Elite 8 in the national tournament for NJCAA
- Team ranked number 6 in the national polls
- Nominee of All-American class of 2013-2014
- Nominee of Elite 80 East Player
- Self Information:
- Studying in Physical Therapy
6) Brian Deshon Pearson
- High School: Walnut Grove High School, Georgia
- Team record 23-4
- Was ranked in Top 10 of the state of class 3AAA, majority of the season
- Won our first region title trophy
- Name MVP of the tournament
- Made all region team & top 20 All star game
- College Freshman Year
- East Georgia
- 31-3 State Champ
- Started as the power forward & only freshman starter.
- Second leading rebounder
- Made All American Top 80 in the East elite showcase.
7) Alexander Anthony Reid
- High School: Savannah High School in Savannah, Georgia
- High School Highlights:
- Senior year: played on team record 24-5
- Won the city championship and made it to the elite 8 in the state playoffs
- All region MVP of the tournament
- High School stats
- 12 pts, 6 assists, 3 steals
- College Freshman
- Played for East Georgia State College (a two-year school)
- Record 31-3. State Champions
- Was the second string point guard for the team but played as an energy guy to speed up the tempo and force turnovers.
8) Damian Young (#1)
- Grayson High School
- Freshman Guard
- High School Highlights
- Junior year- all county 2nd team in Long Beach, MS.
- Underclassmen All Star Game MVP
- Stats: 13 ppg 5 stls 2 blks
- Senior Year
- Walnut Grove Christmas Tournament MVP in Gwinnett County Senior All Star Game
- 2 time Gwinnett County Player of The Week
- Led team to be named Stingiest Defense in the county with avg of 7 stls and 3 blks
- Stats: 18 ppg, 7 stls, 3 blks
9) Tondric Lenard Johnson
- Henry County High School Highlights:
- 3 year starter on Varsity.
- Lettered all 3 years
- Was Male Athlete of the Week senior year
- Also during senior year, averaged 18 pts, 6 reb, 3 assists
- From Georgia and appeared in Elite 8 and Sweet 16 throughout my high school career
- Senior year also 3 sport athlete- Basketball, Track, and Cross Country
10) Deshon Nails
- Tattnall County High School
- Accomplishments: Atlanta Journal Constitution All State Second Team 2013
- All region first team 2013 1AAA, Georgia Sportswriters Assn.
- All State Honorable Mention 2013
- Atlanta Journal Constitution All State Honorable Mention 2012
- First Team all-region 2012
- GACA North-South Junior Showcase 2012
- Elite 8 State Playoffs 2013
- Stats: 20 pts pg, 12 rebs
11) Rico Overall
- George Walton Comprehensive High School in Marietta, Georgia
- Senior Year Record:
- Stats: Ppg-26.5
- Apg- 4.4 Spg- 2.9
- Selected to All Region Team 3 out of 4 seasons.
- Scored 1356 points in whole career
- 4th All time leading scorer ever at his high school.
- Selected Naismith All-Metro Atlanta team
- Won the Rookie of the Year freshman year of high school alongside the standout Point Guard Ryan Harrow
12) JaQuez Motley
- High School: Faith Baptist Christian Academy
- State- Georgia
- 2 Time state champion 2008-2009, 2009-2010
- Most valuable player 2008-2009
- Defensive player
13) Jalen Watson
- Bradwell Institute ‘12
- Basketball Position: Center
- Record: 16-14
- Sweet 16 in state playoffs
- Avg 9.3 points, 9.9 rebounds, 2.3 blocks
- EGSC Sophomore:
- 2012 State Champs
- Elite 8 in Nationals
- Backup PF/C #35
- Avg- 4.4 points, 4.4. rebs, 0.9 blks
14) Tommy Williams
- Academy of Richmond County
- Basketball Position: Power Forward
- Lead his high school team to 2 Final Four Appearances
- Avg 22 points, 10 rebounds
- Made All-Region in High School
- Ranked #36 in Georgia from the ESPN Polls
15) Corinthians Brown
- 1st Team All State(10th and 11th Grade)
- 2 time 1st team All Region
2 Final Four Appearances
- Region Champs (9th and 10th Grade)
- 3 time Track Region Champs (8th – 11th Grade)
- 3rd in the state in High Jump
- Scored 1,500 points at Laney High School
- All- American nominee
- Average 23 points at East Georgia before tearing ACL
Come support your local East Georgia State Men’s and Women’s Bobcat Basketball Teams this fall and watch how far they can go! Come growl with the Bobcats!