What is the Accuplacer Exam?
The Accuplacer exam is a computer-adaptive (optional) exam used for Learning Support placement purposes in Reading, English and Math. Results for the Reading Comprehension and Elementary Algebra sections will be made available upon completion of the exam, however the WritePlacer portion of the exam may take up to 24-48 hours to receive results. Please see below for exemption and placement information.
The Accuplacer exam is offered to students at the Swainsboro location Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 2:00 pm, no appointment necessary. Testing is also available, by appointment only, at our Statesboro and Augusta locations. After you complete the ACCUPLACER assessment, there is a 24-48 period for scores to be entered.
If taking the ACCUPLACER for another institution other than EGSC, there is a $25 fee and tested on an as-available basis. If retaking a section of ACCUPLACER, there is a fee of $15 for each seated visit, regardless of section.
You can prepare for the ACCUPLACER exam by taking advantage of the study tools and resources. Please use these tools to become familiar with the types and format of ACCUPLACER test questions. They can also help you identify the academic areas where you may need a little help, and prepare to improve.
How do I exempt the Accuplacer?
Applicants to East Georgia State College are eligible to take the ACCUPLACER unless exempted by specific criteria (other test scores, transfer credit, etc.). Incoming students can exempt the sections by meeting the ACT/SAT minimum test requirements and the completion of the 4 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units of English and the 4 Required High School Curriculum (RHSC) units of Math. The exemption scores are as follows:
|OLD SAT (EGSC Code: 5200)||NEW SAT (EGSC Code: 5200)||ACT (EGSC Code: 0799)|
|430 Critical Reading||24 Reading||17 English|
|400 Math||22 Math||17 Math|
Redesigned SAT Scores
If you took the SAT during March 2016 or later, please see the scores outlined in red (Reading Section and Math Section Score). These are the scores that are used to determine your testing exemption. Please note that any printed official test score report MUST include all six test scores shown below, see instructions on how to print your report directly from College Board. All six scores are needed to be converted from NEW SAT to OLD SAT. Concordance tables can be found here.
|Measure or Score||Recommended Maximum “Age”|
|SAT/ACT||7 years from date of administration|
|HSGPA||5 years from date of graduation|
|COMPASS||1 year from date of administration|
|Accuplacer||1 year from date of administration|
Ready To Take the Accuplacer?
- Students must bring a Photo ID to the test for identity verification.
- Cell phones are NOT permitted in the testing lab.
- Students are strongly encouraged to practice and review prior to taking the exam.
- Personal calculators are not permitted in the testing lab as there is a calculator built into the test for you to use.
- This test is computerized. The Reading Comprehension and Elementary Algebra sections are not timed while the WritePlacer has a 60 minute time limit.
- There is no cost for this test if the student has applied for admission to EGSC. There is a $25 fee if the student is not an EGSC applicant.
- Children are not allowed in the testing room and cannot be left alone outside of the testing area.
- A $15 retest fee is assessed for each seated visit, not per test section. The retest fee must be paid at the time of testing and receipt must be shown for verification.
- The option to retest is forfeited if a student attends any mandatory Learning Support classes after his/her entry term's Add/Drop date — no exceptions.
- Any and all retests must be taken prior to the prior to the beginning of any regular term or mini-mester for which the student seeks admission, except in exceptional circumstances where the need to retest can be documented and the student obtains the approval of the Vice President for Academic Affairs to retest.
Student may have up to four attempts per subject within an academic year to pass the ACCUPLACER Placement Exam, however, any attempt to test for a fourth time within any academic year must be approved by the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
The four attempts are:
- The initial Accuplacer attempt
- The first retest attempt
- The second retest attempt
- An approved third retest attempt by the VPAA
- The four attempts include all EGSC sessions and all remote sessions.
- After testing four times at EGSC, a student MAY NOT test at another institution and request those scores be transferred to EGSC.
- The four attempts are:
- Students are required to remediate after the first attempt and all subsequent attempts, and must present a signed approval form from the Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) prior to retesting.
- No student may test more than four times within any one academic year.
- After testing three times at EGSC within any academic year, a student MAY NOT test at another institution and request those scores be transferred to EGSC.
Do You Need Accommodations?
If you identify yourself as a student with disability (or have an IEP or 504 plan), all requests for accommodations must be made as early as possible, at least 30 days in advance of the need. Documentation of disability must be submitted and pre-approved prior ro testing. For further information regarding accommodations, please contact the Counseling and Disability Services Office at (478) 289-2039.
Office of Student Affairs
131 College Circle
Swainsboro Georgia 30401
Phone: (478) 289-2169
Fax: (478) 289-2353